Documenting my sewing adventures, and the ins and outs of learning to adjust patterns for a perfect fit.

Flowers and Stripes Mimi G Style for Simplicity 8291

Happy Sunday

I thought I wouldn't blog about this dress, but since I'm just sitting here I thought why not.

As I continue to row my way along the ocean of fabric, I finally cut into my floral and 
stripe fabric I have been hoarding for about a year or so.

It took me forever to find a similar weight black knit, but a couple weeks ago, Fabric Mart Fabric had a flash and I picked up some black ity knit . When this pattern was released I knew I wanted to make it because I love color blocking. However it was a couple things I was concern with. One was the left piece I was scared it would cut across my right breast. I saw a few sewn up on mannequins that seem to cut across the right breast.

So when I cut the pattern out, I cut off some of the left bodice, to in my opinion compensate for my larger cup. Did I need to cut it off... I'm not sure lol...I think I may have been alright but I didn't want to take any chances. 

This pattern does use a lot of fabric, and if I make it again it will not be until I get a bigger cutting table, cutting the pieces took a lot of work.

If I make it again, I will take 2 inches off the center back seam, also the pattern is made that the back piece comes over the center shoulder blade. I didn't realize that so I kept trying to adjust the dress, while wearing. 

It does show cleavage, so I just sewed the front closed a little, I could have cut off some excess on the left pattern piece to give it tighter cross over, but its okay for now.

The pattern itself is easy to sew, the pattern does suggest bias binding for neckline and armholes. I wasn't to sure if I was applying it right. So I looked up the you tube video for the pattern. And would you believe Mimi G didn't do the step in the video. She said she was using a heavier knit so she just folded her's over. That was disappointing, I felt that she should have used a lighter knit, to demonstrate that specific technique. I ended up using stay tape and folded the neckline and armholes in and stitched them down.

This is my second Mimi G for Simplicity pattern, the first one was a bust, but I think this one is a winner. The envelope has a typo of such, it shows three photos they are labeled B B C
The back shows  A B C
But its only two views that can be sewn, not three A and B is the same  

Fabric: Fabric Mart Fabric
Black Poly/Lycra Ity Knit
Ocean Blue/White/Multi Floral/Stripe Print Ity
Fabric used: 5 1/8 yard

Cut 20W graded to 26W I believe for the hips

I took about 100 photos, the only photos I really liked where out takes so those are the one's I'm posting.


Fabric Mart Fabric



Section I cut off

Simplicity 8291 Bodice pieces 


 








Simplicity 8291 View C










Simplicity 8291 View C




4 comments

  1. Love it I would really love to learn how to adjust the bodice front so I don't have as much cleavage showing I've made three so far I've been putting a safety pin to cover up some of the cleavage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea the cleavage can be an issue. You could figure out where your cleavage point is from the finished garment go back to the pattern find where that lines up on the pattern. Figure out how many inches you need to give you coverage mark it on some patten paper and draw a line up to tapering to nothing at the tbodice top point if that make sense probably doesn't but I can draw a picture if it helps send me an email

      Delete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig