Documenting my sewing adventures, and the ins and outs of learning to adjust patterns for a perfect fit.

Roses are Red...Violets are Blue- New Look 6491

Happy Saturday 

I am on stash busting mission this summer. So I am cutting and sewing and hopefully coming up with some nice garments. Of course there will be casualties lol. But I'm use to it. I picked apart some failed projects from last summer, trying to savage the fabric. We shall see if this summer is better. 


Moving right along, I was in the store last Sunday and I had a coupon for Joann's, so I went to use it. Didn't see not one thing I liked. I recall coming across New Look 6491, and thought hmmm I think I like this, but ended up sitting back. I was browsing Instagram or Facebook and saw Allyse Jolie version of New Look 6491, and thought hey I want that pattern.


Image result for new look 6491




 So I stopped by Walmart on the way home from work this week and picked it up. The pattern calls for woven, but I had a knit I wanted to use.


When picking out the sizing I went for the 18 top, graded the midriff piece to a 20 at the bottom, and graded to a 22 at the hips. I hate I didn't extend the skirt, I'm thinking about doing a 1/2 hem but I think it will depends on the shoes, I despise maxi dresses that hit above the ankles, even though I'm short I think it looks weird, personal preference, I like my maxi's below my ankles even to the floor.


The pattern itself is an easy sew, I for the most part set the instructions aside when I got to the skirt part, because for one I wasn't lining, and I didn't like how the fabric was gathering. So I made a casting for my skirt, with a 3/8 seam allowance, ran my elastic through, and then attached the bodice, I did make the bodice midriff lining piece, folded that flat and then stitched in the ditch from the front.


I think I will wear this for the 4th of July, I left the back seam well about 2 inches without the stitch in the ditch there, I think I may take it in a little bit more in the back closer to the 4th of July, Because I used a knit, my top midriff was a little to big for my liking, so I took in a 5/8 inch. I think I may go back in and take out another 1/2 inch or so. All in all I love the dress, I may make one again in knit. 


I wish I had pockets to this one. If I make it again it will have pockets.


I wanted more flare to the skirt, so when I was cutting it out, I added some width on the side, I guess maybe the proper way to do it was slash and spread the pattern, but it worked out fine.


This fabric is from Sew Blessed, fabric group on Facebook. I purchased it in the winter time, thinking I would make a dress for Valentines Day, not sure why I had no date lol. But as you can see it was sitting until now. 


Well that's it for now... Until next time Sew on!


New Look 6491 View A  

It doesnt flare this much on me if only I was 2 inches shorter




New Look 6491 View A Front (My Flair)





New Look 6491 Back View A



New Look 6491 Side View A





I wish I had added pockets however, I have enough scraps for pockets for something else











6 comments

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig