Documenting my sewing adventures, and the ins and outs of learning to adjust patterns for a perfect fit.

Lipstick Pink- Burda 6748

Hi!

I picked up a few Burda patterns, a couple months ago when they went on sale. I really like Burda patterns, however their sizing and my body shape I would need to do a lot of alterations so I tend to stay away from them.

However I did pick up Burda 6748,
Image result for burda 6748


I really liked view B. It was funny cutting out the pattern pieces I kept thinking its no way these pieces will go together. This was my first time working with a princess seam garment.

I used a wool ponte knit that I picked up from Fabric Mart Fabrics
It was listed as Lipstick Pink Wool/Lycra Ponte Double Knit, I got it on sale it was regularly priced a little higher then the regular ponte knits. I wanted to know why....

When it came, I thought it was ugly and a waste of money. It wasn't until I start cutting my pattern out and sewing it together,  I slowly began to appreciate the quality of the material. Trying it on for fitting, it was very warm and felt amazing! First impressions were completely wrong......

The pattern itself easy sew, however the zipper did give me the blues! My seam zipper and me were the best friends. I then decided to sew it in by hand, but I didn't have the patience, so back at the sewing machine, and ripping out the stitches because the bobbin thread kept tangling.

I saw my walking foot, and thought WHY NOT!!! and guess what it worked like a charm.....
I could have finished this dress days ago... but hey it was a lesson learned....

I also had to get a two way zipper, something that was new to me! They don't have a lot of options in the store, so my zipper is a parka?jacket zipper... I don't think it looks bad, but also not sure what style of two way zipper the pattern had in mind.

I did have to do a bicep adjustments to the pattern, and I cut out the size 18, I thought about grading to the 20, for the hips considering the stretch in the fabric but decided to just keep it all 18.

I love the dress overall, the stitching around the zipper isn't the best...but due to the thread color not easily seen... I will wear it sometime next month

Well that's all for now! Until next time sew on.....

Burda 6748 

Close up thread and fabric



Burda 6748 front has facing 

Burda 6748


Burda 6748 Back






Fit Matters

Happy Autumn/Fall

I'm preparing myself for the cooler weather, and more time inside. I picked up a couple more books on fitting, and will begin to immerse myself in perfecting the perfect fit, or coming very close.

One of the joys of sewing is being able to make garments that show your style. Taking this into consideration, I think learning how to alter patterns is a skill that you must develop to have well fitting garments.

For the last two years, two of the most needed alterations I have needed, and honestly avoided, a full bust adjustment, and bicep adjustment. I normally have to grade out for my hips as but I normally can do that easy, with the multi-size patterns.

I did complete 1 full bust adjustment on a pattern, unfortunately I have not made the dress and not sure if I will. I have successfully completed 4 bicep pattern adjustments. It did take a while to get over the fear of cutting up my pattern but after the second one, I was a okay in cutting it up.

As I continue to learn other pattern adjustments I will post them, this Fall I plan to make my first blazer and pair of pants/trousers/jeans maybe so I'm sure I will learn many other adjusting techniques.

I have quite a few books on adjusting patterns I will be using, as well as I follow Andrea of sew to fit she like's the guru of fitting. Check her out at SewToFit and youtube, instagram and facebook same name.

Below I will include a couple photos of my first go around with the bicep/full arm adjustments.

For this adjustment I followed, Sewaholic tutorial Found HERE

Until next time

Sew on!

Pattern pieces all cut


First thing I did was hinged and taped the bottom and began to spread for the fullness I needed



Measured the distance to make sure I had enough space


hinged the cap pieces


And here is where I got stuck I thought I was doing it wrong because of the overlapping pieces shown in the middle, this step you had to basically close the cap



all taped up after I realized the overlap is suppose to be there


To just double check I folded the sleeve and made sure
the notches matched up which they did
so I felt confident I altered it correctly


folded sleeve






                                                            

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig