Documenting my sewing adventures, and the ins and outs of learning to adjust patterns for a perfect fit.

When reality clashes with dreams! Simplicity 8084



So one day I had this vision of making the beautiful floor length Maxi style dress. I knew I wanted to make this dress just needed to find the right fabric.

So I back in March of this year, tried this dress Simplicity 8084 Mimi G pattern, it was an epic fail. I don't know why I thought a second attempt would get better, I quit last time on the bands part.


Well yesterday bright eyes, I went again at this task... and I'm stuck again, with a failed project so to speak, this right band is the devil! No other way to put. I watched the video a hundred times this right band/placket is not right. And guess what I'm not going to try to fix it. I'm done with this dress. I cant fit it anyways. I need two inches off each arm...maybe 3..lol

Because the sleeves, do NOT fit, I had to cut a 16 for the top and grade down to a 24W for the hips. The dress was fitting until I put on those sleeves. Then I looked like ummm the little kid who mom is trying to force them to wear the winter coat from last year!

So this project goes to the pile of dreams deferred.

If you are planning to make this I would suggest, you really really really figure out those bands first, before attaching them to the fronts.

Mimi G does have a video sew along, however I feel its limited as resourceful when it comes to the band, because she is using a dark colored garment so you can't see her fold lines, and the angle is close up so you can look at her band and compares yours in my opinion.

She also doesn't for time sake go over how to mark for the actual buttons, and she doesn't in the video go over covering the exposed edge of the placket. Also she says towards the end, but you should serge as you go. She doesn't pause for serging etc. I didnt like the collar on the dress, I knew this when I bought the pattern, my collar is very bad, if I do figure out how to salvage this dress, I think I will figure out another way to do the collar, facing maybe.


Conceptually this is an amazing pattern. Putting it together, is very difficult in my opinion. IT'S the bands.. the bands the bands...

Some of mishaps with making this dress, I cut the back number 5, into two pieces, yes indeed. Should have been cut on the fold. My right band is not right. at all, my collar is not horrible but its not perfect. I misplaced a button hole, two actually I corrected one.

High HOPES HERE


AND HERE, I MADE IT WORK 


ALL CUT OUT AND READY TO GO


STILL EXCITED


A LITTLE MISHAP BACK PIECE HAS A SEAM DIDN'T CUT IT ON THE FOLD STILL EXCITED


MAKING PROGRESS ATTACHED BACK TO FRONT WITH YOKE 



HIGH HOPES STILL POCKETS ARE IN AND SIDE SEAMS ARE CLOSED


IT WAS DOWN HILL FROM HERE MISPLACED BUTTON HOLE 

I ADDED THE BUTTONS JUST FOR PRACTICE, AS YOU CAN SEE THAT RIGHT BAND IS NOT RIGHT 





What I loved 

I love the bias tape for the casing, and I love my drawstring waist. I love the sleeves and the placket, even though my sleeves are to small for my arms, and of course the pockets.



Now I'm off to find something to redeem myself.... I failed miserably at this project.

2 comments

  1. Everyone has a bad one once in a while. Hopefully you learned a new technique or a new sewing tip along the way. Loved the fabric choice but don't quit! Keep sewing, the next thing will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie the bias tape for casing was new for me I enjoyed that. I will come back to it maybe In a few months but I won't quit

      Delete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig